Monday, May 10, 2010

Suicide

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.
                    Isaac Asimov

               
              I was introduced to suicide at a very early age. When I was three, my grandmother killed herself. I didn’t realize it then, but she was in a great amount of pain.  She’d had back pain since she was in high school, she had terrible arthritis, and she’d fallen down the stairs at our cabin in the mountains and had smashed up the whole left side of her body. She felt like she was a burden to our family.  For some reason she thought we’d be better off without her.  She was wrong.
                When Grandma died, our family shattered.  My aunt just stopped everything.  She stopped cleaning her house, and she stopped helping her kids. The stress was just too much.  My mom’s a fighter, and she showed it less, but it hurt her just as much. Maybe more.  My grandpa started dating three weeks after my grandma’s death.  He married barely seven months later.  Having a new woman in my grandma’s house was a constant reminder of the hole her passing created, and seemed to keep that hole open. We were given no time to heal.  Holidays had to be re-arranged because my grandpa’s new wife had her own children and when we did get together, it just didn’t feel the same. Grandpa seemed to think that life would go on without any changes, but everyone else saw that the changes were numerous and extremely sad.
                A few years after my grandma died, a close family friend had suicide enter her life when her brother killed himself.  At his viewing, she told me, “We just have to know that God loves us all, and sometimes, life just sucks.” I thought she put it perfectly.
                It’s been eleven years since Grandma’s death, and my family is just barely getting over it.  The family friend has found solace in being part of a suicide prevention group that works with teenagers. As for me, I feel as if I’ve learned an invaluable life lesson. Suicide is not worth the cost. It’s a “permanent solution to a temporary problem” and is not an answer but just another problem. I’ve seen the affects of suicide, and nothing could be worse. Families are devastated by the loss, and will never completely heal. No matter what, suicide is not the answer.


1 comment:

  1. I really think I understand what you are trying to say but I have to disagree with it...just a little. My uncle had uncontrollable depression his whole life. My family felt his suicide was what was best for him because his problems were not temporary. It all depends on the situation but hey, what doesn't these days.

    ReplyDelete