Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Future

I'm scared for the future. "Tomorrow's Leaders" aren't learning any morals today. How are we supposed to lead, when we don't even know how to deal fairly with others? Today in geography, I looked around at my classmates. It struck how completely... Simple everyone is. So shallow. So petty. These are tomorrow's leaders? I sure hope not.

After criticizing everyone else, I looked at myself. I used to think of myself as a pretty good person. I used to think I was smart and good enough to actually do something with my life. Recently, I feel like something in me is gone. I have no desire to excel, no urge to try. And why should I? This world is already screwed up enough. What could I possibly do to help?

At the same time, as I see those starving African children, I realize that maybe I actually could do something. Maybe, if I try hard enough, I'll have some sort of influence on the world. But trying... It's hard.

3 comments:

  1. Wow.

    Ethan, you have serious talent. And not just with writing - that's a dead on analyzation. That's like, what i feel, said a million times better than i know how to say. (that sounds redundant, doesn't it?) I have those days, i have them all the time. That's when i turn on my "try" playlist (it doesn't actually exist, only in my head - it's a bunch of songs and bands that inspire me to do something and show me it's not COMPLETELY hopeless) or watch Zeitgeist or talk to someone like you. I love you, Ethan. You're an amazing kid. Don't let the world get you down, because if people like you quit trying, we ARE screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alli. Completely. But you're right, trying IS hard. Probably the hardest thing this world has to offer. And Ethan, knowing you, you can change the world. You can. But the first thing you have to do is try. Trying is only hard if you let it be. We'll save Africa together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEEETHAN! Every single post I read, I just adore. Anyways, I'm so glad I was left out of the loop of your blog for so long! PSH anyways dear Ethan, I think if anyone could possible change in thing in this world, it would definately be you.

    ReplyDelete